3-year-old Chokes on Snack and is Saved with LifeVac – #404
LifeVac is thrilled to share details on our 404th life saved
A 3-year-old little girl choked on a handful of goldfish on June 24th. Here is the mother testimonial:
“10 am I was holding my 3-year-old daughter while sitting on the bar stool at the counter while she was eating goldfish…Her mouth was full, and she let out a slight cough. I turned to look at her face and she had then had a complete blockage and her face looked completely terrified! Her eyes were huge, and she couldn’t breathe at all. I flipped her over while trying to grab the LifeVac we have hanging on the wall in the dining room (because we have had to use the LifeVac once a few months back.
I hit her back twice while I had her flipped over in my arms and it dislodged some of the goldfish. She then let out a slight cry/wine and my sister ended up grabbing the LifeVac since I never grabbed it. We placed her on the living room floor while dialing 911. She was gasping for air, and it sounded like complete wheezing while she was still in distress and couldn’t breathe fully (but she was getting a little bit of air) It was so hard for me to get a full suction because I was clearly being too gentle with it and shaking from the stress of everything going on. After maybe 45 seconds of trying, I did a stronger forceful push and pull, and it cleared her completely. Thank god! Quite a bit time later the EMTs arrived, assessed her and her airway and throat were completely clear. Her Heart rate and oxygen were great. The EMT said he was completely confident that the device did a wonderful job. They didn’t even suggest taking her by ambulance unless that was what I wished to do.
I swear I don’t know what we would do without this device thank you so much!!!!!!!!!