60-Year-Old with Dementia Chokes and is Saved with LifeVac – #413

LifeVac is delighted to share news from our partners in the UK of another life being saved

A male resident in his 60’s, who suffers from Dementia, began choking on a piece of doughnut. The chewed-up food became a full airway obstruction. Staff acted quickly and accordingly delivering BLS first aid choking protocol. Sadly these attempts could not dislodge the obstruction and the male resident became unconscious.  The care team quickly grabbed their new LifeVac device and followed the large clear instructions on the A3 laminated poster. The resident was in a supine position, and within a matter of a second LifeVac dislodged the full airway obstruction, saving his life. Paramedics arrived on the scene and checked the resident over. The resident was taken to the hospital for review and released a few hours later to return to his home.