Elderly Man Chokes on Pizza Dough Saved with LifeVac – #377

LifeVac is delighted to share news of our 377th life saved

It was reported to us that on February 7th first responders in Michigan were called to the choking incident of an 83-year-old male.

The family had just returned from picking up a pizza for dinner when the gentleman started choking on pizza dough (5.5 cm long) The fire department arrived at the home to find the gentleman’s airway fully obstructed. They looked in the victim’s oral cavity with a laryngoscope and couldn’t see the blockage. The Heimlich was performed but was unsuccessful in removing the food.

The LifeVac was used one time while on the way to the hospital after all other attempts were unsuccessful.  LifeVac successfully dislodged the obstruction which was expelled out of his oral cavity onto the ambulance floor.  (See the photo below)

“The patient lived and was discharged from the hospital. We are a Fire Department providing advanced life support. I was the user in this particular incident. I saw the news segment on Fox News while waiting at the airport. When I returned from my trip, I made a proposal to our fire chief about purchasing your device. He made the purchase and not shortly after I need up using the device on the patient listed.”

Pizza dough that man choked on