Mom Uses LifeVac to Save 7-Month-Old After Choking Protocol Fails – #482

LifeVac is delighted to share news of our 482nd life saved

It was reported to us that on September 14th a 7-month-old boy choked on a  piece of plastic from a go-Gurt (yogurt)  causing a total blockage of his airway.   His mother, who is a nurse, was unable to dislodge the using choking rescue procedures.  LifeVac successfully dislodged the obstruction on the 2nd attempt.

“On 9/14 around 9 pm, my son (7 months old) started choking. I performed several back blows exactly how I’ve been taught every 2 years since 2007(it’s not the first time I’ve done this on an infant or toddler and I’m an ER/ICU RN). Whatever it was would not come up He would cry, and it would lodge again, and he would start choking all over again. I tried mouth sweeps after each time he started crying post blows, but never got anything. I remembered I bought a LifeVac a year ago because my grandma requested one just in case something happened, and I wasn’t home.  While dad called 911, my Grandma quickly assembled the LifeVac. At this point, he was starting to turn blue around his mouth. After 2 attempts, he started screaming and breathing on his own. 911 showed up around a minute later. I literally only bought that thing because my grandma asked. I never really thought if it would actually work.”